Level: Bachelors/ Masters/ PhD Degree
Study in: Czech Republic
Course starts: AY 2019/2020
Deadline: 30 September 2018
Czech Republic scholarships
The Government of the Czech Republic offers scholarships within the framework of its Foreign Development Assistance in support of the study of foreign nationals from developing countries at public institutions of higher education in the Czech Republic.
These so called Government Scholarships are designed to cover the standard length of study:
1) in Bachelor/Master/Doctoral study programmes plus one-year preparatory course of the Czech language (which is combined with other field-specific training). Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates from upper secondary schools, or Bachelor’s/Master’s degree courses, as applicable, who can enrol only in study programmes in which instruction is given in the Czech language. Depending on the subject area, applicants are normally required to sit entrance examinations at the higher education institution concerned. Successful passing of entrance examinations constitutes a precondition for the scholarship award; or
2) in follow-up Master study programmes or Doctoral study programmes. Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates of Bachelor or Master study programmes, respectively, who enrol in study programmes with instruction in the English language.
Who is eligible?
The scholarships are dedicated solely to promoting the studies of adults who are foreign nationals from developing third countries in need. Neither a citizen of the Czech Republic, nor a citizen of the European Union, nor any other foreign national with a permanent residence permit on the territory of the Czech Republic may therefore apply for the scholarship. Furthermore, the scholarships may not be granted to persons younger than 18. (The applicant has to turn 18 as of 1 September of the year when s/he commences studies in the Czech Republic at the latest.)
Field of study
Scholarships are provided in the field of Economics, Agriculture, Informatics, Environment and Energetics at public institutions of higher universities in the Czech Republic. See the scholarship guidelines (link found below) for the full list of programmes covered by the government scholarship program.
The scholarship covers necessary costs related to stay and study in the Czech Republic. The scholarship amount is regularly amended. Currently the amount paid to students of a Bachelor’s, Master’s or follow-up Master’s study programme stands at CZK 14,000 per month, whereas the amount paid to students of a Doctoral study programme stands at CZK 15,000 per month.The above scholarship amount includes an amount designated for the payment of accommodation costs.
Costs of accommodation, food and public transport are covered by scholarship holders under the same conditions that apply to students who are citizens of the Czech Republic. Travel expenses for travelling to the Czech Republic and back to the student’s homeland are paid by the party that has nominated the student to study in the Czech Republic or by the foreign national at his/her own costs.
How to apply
Scholarships can only be filed on-line. The scholarship application form is available at: http://registr.dzs.cz/registr.nsf.
The scholarships are intended solely to promote the studies of adults who are foreign nationals from the eligible developing third countries listed below. Neither a citizen of the Czech Republic, nor a citizen of a member state of the European Union, nor any other foreign national with a permit to permanent residence on the territory of the Czech Republic may therefore be granted this type of scholarship. Furthermore, the scholarships may not be granted to persons under 18 years of age. (The applicants have to turn 18 as of 1 September of the year when they commence studies in the Czech Republic at the latest.)
Scholarships for 2019/2020 are offered only to the citizens of the following countries:
Detailed information on the terms and conditions of scholarship awards is provided in the binding “Guidelines for Granting Scholarships of the Government of the Czech Republic”, issued in Czech, English and Russian (click below to download in the PDF format):
- Czech: dispozice_cesky_2018.pdf;
- English: guidelines_English_2018.pdf;
- Russian: guidelines_russian_2018.pdf.
Prospective applicants are advised to peruse the guidelines before applying
Prospective applicants are requested to acquaint themselves with information on personal data protection at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Czech Republic, in compliance with the respective EU GDPR Regulation:
- in Czech: http://www.msmt.cz/ministerstvo/zakladni-informace-o-zpracovani-osobnich-udaju-ministerstvem;
- in English: personal_data_protection_at_MEYS.docx.
Information on personal data protection at the Ministry’s subordinate agency, Centre for International Cooperation in Education, is available at:
- http://www.dzs.cz/file/6546/oznameni_stipendia-msmt-pdf/; http://www.dzs.cz/cz/o-dzs/gdpr/
- http://www.dzs.cz/file/6633/gdpr_scholarships_en-pdf/; http://www.dzs.cz/en/about-dzs/gdpr_en/ .